DIGITAL ASSET MANAGEMENT
The single source of truth for all your digital brand assets - in one single location. Find, share, re-use with ease.
Digital asset management, or DAM - a game-changer in how companies manage their creative digital files. It makes organising, finding and sharing your brand assets simple and easy.
What Is a Digital Asset?
The term “digital asset” is often interpreted by the individual context of the writer, as mentioned by Digital Asset Management News. In context of brand and marketing content management, I'll use a simple explanation: a digital asset is content stored digitally, such as images, videos, audio files, documents, presentations, and so on.
A digital file is considered an asset if:
- It is searchable and discoverable, due to metadata.
- It is owned by an individual or a company.
- It adds value to the individual or a company.
It's important to note that other formats of digital assets exist, and the definition of a "digital asset" is continuously changing due to emergence of new business areas.
Today, digital assets are important and ever-growing part of an organisation's content. And businesses everywhere rely on digital assets for all sorts of things, from branding to communication to marketing.
The many forms of digital assets provide their own unique value to the owner. Images tell stories with pictures, videos capture motion and storytelling, and documents store information and knowledge.
Digital assets are used across all industries, from marketing and design to education and entertainment.
The above are reasons why managing such brand content with a DAM software is of high importance because what you can't find, you can't use.
What is digital asset management?
DAM is a system that helps businesses manage their digital assets in a smart way. It's a one-stop shop for everything from organising and creating your content to collaborating on it, searching for it, sharing it, publishing it, controlling it, and even analyzing it.
- Organise: DAM helps you keep your digital assets organized by letting you create folders, subfolders, and tags. This makes it easy to find what you're looking for, even if you have a ton of files.
- Create: DAM makes it easy to create digital content that's on-brand and consistent. You can also use DAM to manage digital asset projects, so you can keep track of all the different pieces of content that go into a campaign or initiative.
- Collaborate: DAM makes it easy to work with others on your digital content. You can share files and folders securely, and you can even create and manage review and approval workflows. This way, everyone is on the same page before content is published.
- Search: DAM's search features are powerful and easy to use. You can search by file name, keyword, metadata, and even the contents of the file itself. This means you can find the file you need quickly and easily, even if you don't remember the exact name of the file or where it's stored.
- Sharing: DAM makes it easy to share your files with others, both inside and outside your company. You can control who has access to your files and what they can do with them. You can also generate shareable links to specific files or folders, so you can easily share them with others without having to send them an email or attach them to a message.
- Publishing: DAM can automatically publish your files to a variety of platforms, including your website, social media, and e-commerce store. This saves you time and makes it easy to keep your content up-to-date across all of your channels.
- Control: DAM gives you complete control over your digital assets. You can manage permissions to ensure that only the right people have access to your files. You can also track file activity and version control to keep track of changes to your files.
- Analytics: DAM provides valuable insights into how your digital assets are being used. You can see which files are being downloaded, viewed, and shared the most. This information can help you make better decisions about what kind of content to create and how to promote it.
Closely related solutions
With the plethora of business software around, how do you know which one is right for your business needs? Let's take a look at the closely related "Asset Management" solutions, where the "AM" part of the acronym stands for asset management and relates to digital assets.
DAM vs BAM vs MAM
Brand Asset Management is a tool that helps companies keep their brands consistent. BAM is a platform where employees can find all the finished assets they need to create on-brand content, like logos, colours, fonts, and images. BAM makes it easy to keep everyone on the same page and ensure that all communications reflect the company's brand identity.
Media Asset Management system is a one-stop shop for all your media assets, designed specifically for large video files and production workflows, from raw footage to finished products. MAM helps organise all media files, especially video and audio files. It is used in the media supply chain, from post-production studios to media sales teams.
As explained above, a Digital Asset Management solution works as a single source of truth for all your digital content, including images, videos, documents, creative design files, and more. DAM allows your marketing and design teams to collaborate on work-in-progress creative projects, share files, publish finished content on different platforms, give specific access permissions, and track usage of your files.
Comparing DAM, BAM and MAM
Which solution is right for you?
You need a central location for approved brand assets, such as logos, brand templates, etc.
You need easy access and discovery of video and multimedia assets for post-production work and distribution
You work with many different types of assets and need a central location for easy search, retrieval, distribution, quick editing, version and access control
DAM Use Cases
Schools and universities use DAM software to collect digital content from both inside and outside the school. It makes sure that staff, students, and the public have safe access to approved digital content, and it makes it easy to share images and videos both inside and outside the school.
For example, a private college can ensure brand consistency by storing and sharing logos, brochures, and promotional videos. This ensures that all marketing materials align with the institution's image.
Local governments often use images to promote tourism and attract visitors. Managing these assets efficiently is crucial to showcasing the region's attractions effectively.For example, when planning a new tourism campaign, the marketing team can quickly access these images, ensuring consistency in promotional materials across websites, brochures, social media, and advertising. This enhances the city's appeal to tourists and helps boost the local economy.
Retailers often have extensive catalogs of products that require high-quality images for online sales. Efficiently managing these product images is crucial for a seamless e-commerce experience.
For example, a retailer use a DAM system to organise product images, including multiple views, colour variations, and lifestyle shots. This ensures that the website displays accurate and appealing visuals for each product, ultimately improving the customer shopping experience and increasing conversion rates.
Manufacturing companies often produce a wide range of products, each requiring detailed documentation and images for marketing, assembly, and maintenance purposes. Managing these product image assets efficiently is crucial.
For example, an automotive manufacturer. They use a DAM system to organise high-resolution images of each car model, including exterior and interior shots. When creating marketing materials, assembling vehicles, or performing maintenance, employees can easily access the relevant images and documentation. This ensures that accurate and up-to-date information is available to support various departments, from marketing to production and customer service.
Construction companies often showcase their completed projects to potential clients. Managing images and multimedia assets related to completed projects is crucial for building a strong portfolio.
For example, a construction firm specialising in commercial building projects. They use a DAM system to organise images, videos, and blueprints of completed projects, including office complexes, shopping centres, and industrial facilities. When preparing proposals or presentations for potential clients, the marketing team can quickly access these assets. This ensures that they can create visually impressive and persuasive materials that highlight the company's expertise and past successes, increasing their chances of winning new contracts.
Non-profit organisations often run fundraising campaigns and events to support their causes. Managing image assets for these campaigns is essential to create compelling and consistent messaging.
For example, an environmental non-profit organisation focused on preserving wildlife habitats. They use a DAM system to store images and videos of endangered species, conservation projects, and success stories. When launching a fundraising campaign to protect a specific habitat, the marketing team can easily access these assets. This ensures that they can create emotionally impactful marketing materials, including social media posts, email newsletters, and website banners, to engage donors and raise funds effectively.
DAM Key Business Benefits:
- Go to Market Faster: DAM makes it faster to create and distribute content, which can shorten the time it takes to get products and campaigns to market.
- Better Customer Experience: DAM helps you deliver a better customer experience by making sure your messaging is consistent and your assets are high-quality.
- Supports Digital Transformation: DAM aligns with digital transformation strategies by making digital asset workflows more efficient.
- Collaboration and Silo Breaking: DAM helps teams work together better and breaks down data silos.
- Longer Content Lifecycles: DAM makes sure your assets stay accessible and relevant for longer.
- Compliance and Rights Management: DAM helps your organisation comply with regulations and manage usage rights.
- Consistent Global Messaging: DAM helps you ensure that your messaging is consistent across global operations.
- Scalable Content Operations: DAM helps businesses scale their content operations efficiently.
Choosing the right digital asset management solution (DAM) is crucial for businesses or organisations in Australia and New Zealand due to specific regional needs.
From a DAM pioneer and industry leader for the last 30+ years, Canto cloud DAM along with Australian-based databasics' hands-on services has been the top choice for many Australian and New Zealand organisations. Here is why.
Great features out-of-box
Canto DAM offers a comprehensive set of features that make digital asset management a breeze. From powerful search and filtering to robust security and compliance features, Canto has everything you need to manage your digital assets effectively.
Unmatched AI-powered technology
At forefront of latest technologies, Canto provides unmatched DAM capabilities powered by AI:
- AI Visual Search - search for images and videos using your words and description
- Facial Recognition - recognise tagged faces in images and videos
- Text recognition - find images that have particular text in them.
Tailored Pricing for Local Needs
Canto understands that Australian and New Zealand businesses have unique needs, so they offer tailored pricing that's aligned with the local market, including significant discounts for SMBs and the Public Sector, Education, and Not-for-Profit sectors. Contact databasics for more info.
Local Support and expert guidance
databasics is Canto's trusted DAM partner in the Asia-Pacific region. With over 30 years of industry experience and a local presence in Australia, databasics personalised services packages will ensure your DAM adoption and success.
Data Security and Compliance
Security and compliance are Canto's top priorities:
- Canto is ISO 27001 certified, which means that its security practices have been independently verified to meet the highest standards.
- Canto is ISO 9001 certified, which means that it is committed to delivering high-quality products and services, a testament to Canto's commitment to excellence and its focus on meeting the needs of its customers.
- The SOC 2 audit is a rigorous assessment of a service organisation's security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy controls. Canto has successfully passed multiple SOC 2 audits, demonstrating its commitment to security and compliance.